Sunday, April 16, 2006

Deprivation does weird things to people

Growing up in India, I was your average cricket fan, playing cricket every evening as a kid, watching the odd match, the odd cricket debate just for conversation's sake..I was normal. When I came to this country 6 yrs back, for the 1st 2-3 yrs, I couldn't get to watch cricket, leave alone play any. This sudden deprivation messed me up big time; it has rendered me a diseased cricket fanatic now! I follow cricket like a man possessed now.

My sources:
Home of cricket on the net
Home of Indian cricket on the net
The best Indian newspaper coverage of cricket on-the-net
A standard on the net where I can also take a peep at soccer news
A cricket columnist's blog
..yes, *everyday*!
I have serious issues: I honestly believe that I should be on the national selection panel!

I was asked why I don't write that much about cricket here, since I clearly think about it a lot. Its because I am afraid I won't be able to stop writing! I could write about the state of test cricket; disgust at 900 runs in a ODI; stronger disgust at 20-20's; new talents in Indian cricket; India's Truman (reference to the movie, Truman Show), Sachin Tendulkar; getting Americans to understand cricket; come up with a theory on why cricket is a craze in certain countries; my irritation when someone says, 'I don't know how you stay up all night and watch cricket'; I could go on and on..

And I do go on and on..with my daily emails to a select few (you know who you are - to think that you actually top my word-count, some of you..God bless YOU! :))

Rest assured, all's well, I haven't sold my soul and shifted my loyalty to any american sport, the madness hasn't abated in anyway. Regular readers of my blog (ahem!) know I play cricket for a team here in NY. The season is just getting started now. This summer, with me being as fit as I have ever been, I am waiting to send the ball scorching through the covers and also to come in running and 'let it rip'!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

where have you been?