Sunday, April 16, 2006

I am not a desi!

I don't like the term "desi" - its got several negative connotations associated with it, for me to be comfortable calling myself a "desi". Its a self-inflicted demeaning word used for all members of South Asian origin here in the US, both 1st and 2nd generations. Call me Indian, south Asian if you will, even "brown", but not "desi". Btw, a more stylized version is pronounced "daisy" - aaghh!

P.S: If that makes no sense to you, just dismiss it as one of my quirks (to those-who-know-me: who would've thought I had this many quirks about me?!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

spot on....i could not agree more... though it's not just used for south-asian ppl in the US (far from that) it's a term used quite freely used everywhere it seems - in india and abroad

indian newspapers constantly print out headlines "Product XXX goes desi" , "MNC hiring more desis"...

it's got very negative connotations, self-defeatist... i hate that term!!!

Unknown said...

Yeah it sounds a lot like 'native' when used by the britishers ages back. Never mind thats exactly what ot means. Like most words, its not the word itself but how it is used.