Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Movie Reviews

Watched quite a few of them in the last week. Here goes:

Sin City - in one word, *perverse*! We all have that perverse streak in us, but takes one sick, freakish, brilliant mind to bring it out on the screen in such a stylish way. As you watch the movie, you think ahead, and think that something disgusting just might happen, and then something worse than you can imagine happens! Not many movies have left me transfixed in my seat even after the credits are half-way through, wondering what the hell that was - this did it. Highly recommended watching, but be warned about what you are getting into...

Sideways - Ironical that I *finally* saw it in the theaters a day before it released on DVD - expecting to be the only stupid soul spending 6$ more than I needed to, to watch it a day before it released on DVD, but was a packed theater. One word (again) - "delightful". I don’t know if anyone else noticed the background score, but I loved it - soft, relaxing, apt! Had a few cheesy moments (think Virginia Madsen talking about how she likes to think about the rain and the sun shining on the grapes before the wine is made), but on the whole, a *beautiful* movie. If you waited as long as I did to see it, wait no more - catch it on DVD for sure!

Melinda & Melinda - my first Woody Allen movie (yeah, really!) - loved it! Its awesome how he straight-shoots philosophy at you, so matter-of-factly, in normal conversation between the characters. Laugh-out-loud funny at times, but subtle humor straight through. And those dream, palatial apartments in NYC - where are they?! One word? - hmm.."revealing" - opened me up to the wonderful world of Woody Allen movies - looking forward to watching more.

Maria, Full of Grace - Catalina Sandino Moreno looked stunning at the Oscars in a white gown (well, I didn’t know her name then) and her acting in this one is awesome too. But the Spanish movie is slow in parts and as much as the acting was brilliant (and, she looked spectacular), it wouldn’t rate it too highly in my books. But yes, the female lead has acted very well and looks simply superb! (did I say that before?)

1 comment:

Harish said...

I agree with most of your reviews.
- Sin City: Loved it.
- Sideways: Loved it. Even the Virginia Madsen dialog. Especially that dialog.
- Melinda & Melinda: Slightly disagree. I thought it was one of his not so good efforts. Then again, I'm a huge fan of his movies and have watched many *much better* WA movies.
- Maria, Full of grace: I watched it a year ago. I thought it was really good.