Wednesday, April 27, 2005

My not-so-great experience @ Tribeca Film Festival

I was *overwhelmed* by the number of people who had turned up at the Tribeca Film Festival last Saturday. I thought it would be one more of those festivals where I could walk in to watch any movie I wanted, with loads of empty seats in a theater that should have been packed, for an indie movie as delightful as some of the ones I have watched lately. Wanted to watch this one called Power of Nightmares, about Islamic fundamentalism, but so did 500 others - sold out! Then moved to the line for Devil's Miner - 15 mins later sold out! Then stood in line for Rikers High - 30 mins later....yes, sold out!

Looked around for the shortest line and waited for this one called "13 Lakes" (bad move, driven by impatience and chilly winds!). 15 mins later....got in this time! The movie was about that - 13 Lakes - this dude had traveled all around US, camera in hand, and filmed 13 Lakes. Hmm..this I knew before walking in, but I was disgusted by what I saw. No characters, no audio, no background music even, just the sound of gurgling water.. He didn't even move the camera around the lake to give us a "view", it was placed in the SAME place for 10 mins, focusing on water, sound of gurgling water.. Supposed to have a meditative, visually captivating effect - my a$$! I gave him his time, 6 lakes - that's all I could take. I have a fascination for still water, but it was still too much for me, had to get out of there before I lost my fascination!

No comments: