Sunday, June 26, 2005

Cinderella Man

"SeaBiscuit with gloves", said NYTimes about Cinderella Man (quote further reiterated by a friend's friend, when invited to the movie). I liked Sea Biscuit and I liked Cinderella Man even more! Fine direction, finest acting by Russell Crowe & Paul Giamatti.

You know the story, you know the ending - its a boxer's fall from grace and then re-establishing himself and rising to the top again, defying all odds - there.. But, when you put yourself in the protagonist's shoes, imagine how life must've been during the Great Depression (see Central Park looking like a slum), that's when the movie takes you to a whole new level. There are some movies, which are far removed from reality, but are enjoyable nevertheless; this is an attempt to get the audience to ride the lows and highs with Crowe's character, rooting for him at the edge of your seat in the final match-up. Crowe delivers a beautifully understated, classy acting performance - no other actor could've pulled this role off any better!

A mentor once told me - "The human body can endure an unbelievable amount of strain and effort, its all about pushing yourself. Its all in the mind.". The thought kept popping up in my mind throughout the movie. Its true - there are times when I have stretched myself to limits that I didn't know I was capable of. Hopefully, I can do that more often, going forward..

Watch it!

No comments: