Friday, July 08, 2005

Got to get me a pinstripe!

Alright this is the movie review for the new hindi movie, Sarkar, but those were my thoughts as I exited the theater :)! Its one more take-off on The Godfather, but when a classic script which is a proven success is re-set in a setting closer to home, its just so much easier to relate to.

Apart from just The Godfather, its got shades of Mani Rathnam's Nayakan and Kamal Hassan's Thevar Magan (both Tamil movies that are in my Top 5 all-time Tamil movies list). Am a huge fan of Ram Gopal Varma (aka RGV, the director), Amitabh Bacchan (essaying Marlon Brando's role), and recently, Abhishek Bacchan (Amitabh's son in real-life, playing Al Pacino's role in The Original), and when they all come together, its a must watch for me. Crisply shot in 2 hours, without any songs, RGV employs many close-up shots to permit the Bacchans (and Kaykay, playing the elder son) to show-off their emoting abilities.

On a personal note, this goes down as the first movie I watched alone! A couple of my friends talk about how watching a movie alone can be a great experience; I *had to* see this movie, didn't care if anyone else wanted to, didn't want to bother convincing/coercing anyone else to do this with me, decided to try watching it alone - was awesome!

I like movies that I can relate to, movies that are realistically shot. A movie like Batman Begins is alright, but just doesn't quite cut it for me (have nothing against them, I know people on whom movies like Batman have the greatest effect on). Not the greatest fan of sci-fi or animations either. Am keepin it real! :)

P.S: And why the title? - you got to watch the movie to get that one..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yen golu. Who are these friends I say? And who the f says RGV. Deva. Kapaadi from these wannabes.
:)
You know who this is. Kantri.