Monday, January 24, 2005

King Andre

Andre Agassi[8] vs. Roger Federer[1] - Australian Open, Quarterfinal, 7:30pm AEST, Jan 25th
Andre - "This is what I prepare for - to play the best in the biggest of situations. It's why I do this." - came just as I was beginning to wonder what the hell Andre was still doing in the game. Does he seriously think he has Grand Slam #9 in him at the unforgiving age of 34?

While Andre Agassi adds great value to every tournament he participates in, while he will consistently thrill the crowds with quality tennis and attitude, pushing the younger stars all the time, reach Quarter/SemiFinals in great style, does he have it in him to go all the way and beat the young'uns to win a title? A Grand slam? I think not..

BUT, the optimist and the romantic that I am, I want Da King to bow out in style. I want Andre to win a major and call it quits, like his best rival, Pistol Pete did couple of years back.

Federer is an *extremely* talented,
well-mannered player who lets his tennis do most of the talking (and frankly, someone who may not been challenged sufficiently by his contemporaries this far). His statements today about Andre seemed quite unlike him -
"
I think I've proven myself in the past, and I know my game's good enough. Also on my day where I'm not playing perfect, I know I can beat him. He's not as good as he was when he was at the top of the ranking, otherwise he would be there. Fortunately, I'm there... he has to raise his game, not me."

Hmm..Federer is my favorite player on the men's circuit, but tomorrow, I will be rooting for King Andre!

No comments: