Sunday, January 23, 2005

Moooov me!

So I saw the Broadway plan Rent on Friday night. This is my 6th B'way play after Chicago, Aida, Bombay Dreams, Wicked, and Phantom of the Opera.

Why do they always do their contrived best to numb your senses and sensibilities? Am not an authority on the subject (yet), but why doesn't good, serious, realistic theater never make it into Broadway and stay relegated to Off-Broadway?

When I spend all that money, I go in there expecting to be moooooved! That's the effect I expect from a play, movie. While I think I have been choosier at the movies I pick to watch and have had very good experiences with movies over the last few months, I can't say the same of B'way theater.

So, what was the blog-about factor about all these B'way plays?
Chicago - the dance (but having seen the movie before the play, I didn't enjoy it as much, sets leave much to be desired)
Aida - I continue to rate this my best B'way musical so far. Great color, settings, music..the works.
Bombay Dreams - I have a *huge* A.R. Rahman bias (the Indian music director for the musical). I bought the soundtrack the day it hit the stores, loved it, and knew what to expect even before I went to watch it. I liked the 2 percussionists on either side of the stage - one with the tabla and the other on the drums producing some phenomenal sounds.
Wicked - great effects, but they tried the hardest to finish with a happy-ending.
Phantom of the Opera - the best sets, over-rated music (anyone seen the movie?)
Rent - hmm..sets were ok, performances ok, singing was superb, music decent..

So, in the last act of Rent, you have the heroine dying!...well almost...just when I thought I had seen a B'way musical with not such an happy ending...she comes springing back to life after having seen the "warm, white, light" and "Angel was there" (a character in the play who dies of aids) - WHY??!

P.S: For anyone else who has seen the musical, the "moooooov" me is a reference to one of the songs in the musical and the bit where Maureen gets the audience to "moooow" with her...

P.S again: New Brunswick is the theater capital of New Jersey (dont laugh!) - I used to volunteer for the George Street Playhouse and some of the performances there last year were sensational! Gimme some serious, strong performances anyday to witches flying around in mid-air over the audience (Wicked)!


2 comments:

Harish said...

I love broadway musicals.
One of the implicit assumptions youa re making is that broadway shows are the first tier and the rest are not. I don't think that's true and so don't think that serious plays are 'losing out' by not being 'on broadway'. Almost as a rule, serious plays have a more select audience. And feel-good loud musicals have a more popular audience. Hence, it makes sense to keep the popular shows on the popular street.
Also, I think the 'broadway show' evolved from the fact that a genre was prevalent in an area and not vice versa. So, it's not that musicals are highlighted in broadway. It's just that broadway is where all the musicals have the money and the clout to place themselves.
Besides, I like plays as mucha s the next guy... but to be honest - I like musicals better. It may be the novelty factor - esp since I've only just gotten here... but when viewed as pure entertainment with great singing and dancing sequences and seamless integration, they cannot be beaten. Sure, the stories are very "bollywood", but I always approach these as I would any Govinda masala flick. I love them both for what they are. For deeper influence, impact and 'meaning', I admit one must look elsewhere.

Vijay Krishna L said...

Point taken.
Guess its a matter of personal preference. All I am saying is, the next time I shell out over 50$ for a Broadway musical it will not be in the expectation of moving, intelligent, 'meaningful' theater; the company better be worth it! :)