Friday, March 18, 2005

Cafe Wha?

Can't believe it was *right there* and I didn’t see it all this time (this is becoming too frequent now - things/people/words that are all around you and you don’t *see* it and then something triggers off an initial recognition and then you suddenly start *seeing* it all around you and wonder how you managed to miss it all along).

The W Village is the place I end up hanging out in the City most often - love the area - the food (the trio for me - Mamouns, Katti Roll, Indian Bread Co., and then Brunos for dessert), Comedy Cellar (their in-house performers feature quite frequently on VH1 and such - awesome, friendly place), the bars, more importantly the music in the bars - like how you can actually find places that don’t necessarily play hip-hop after midnight (one more of my rants that anyone who has been to a bar with me has heard - irrespective of what a bar/lounge plays before midnight, come midnight and the Ushers and Nellys storm the place. Nothing against them, but have just had too much of it).

Literally stumbled into Café Wha? last night - walked in to the band playing Strange Kinda Woman (Deep Purple) and I already knew I was gonna love this place. The Café Wha? band dished out some sensational stuff for the next 2-3 hours that I was there - classic rock (ooh yeah!), 80's pop (Michael Jackson stuff, with the dance too! Always wanted to watch a Jackson concert live, probably never gonna happen again sadly.), Latino (sounded great, no idea what the songs were, but hot Latino women flooded the dance floor coming out of nooks and corners and cracks in the wall..really!), Reggae (Bob Marley in da house!!) - was very very impressed.

Here it comes - till I discover otherwise, Café Wha? has the distinction of being my favorite bar in NYC!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Cafe Wha. By far my most favorite spot in the W Village!!