Saturday, March 26, 2005

Walking to the Rhythm

Bruce 'The Boss' Springsteen at the Annual Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony - "its *embarassing* how much we expect of music, and the amazing thing is that it comes through sometimes!" Not been too much of a Boss fan really, but he spoke real well, inducting U2 into the Hall of Fame this year - U2 performed brilliantly of course (Btw, would anyone be willing to sell me U2 tickets for this summer in the NY/NJ area? Please!! Worth a shot...).

When I asked a friend why he hadn't joined the ear-phones bandwagon and gotten himself a mp3 /cd player, he said it would take too much out of the day-to-day experience of life. Hmm..

Its just something else to be able to listen to a song whenever you want to (as opposed to have it stuck in your head and haunt you!) - I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience over the last 3-4 months of having an mp3 player. You have to make the judgement call on when *not* to listen to it (3am Sunday morning, me - a) sleepy b) tired c) drunk d) all of the above. R subway is having its PMS, acts all moody, and decides to go express all of a sudden, am plugged on to my music, haven't heard the announcement, end up closer to Coney Island than I would've liked - not fun!) and make sure it doesn't take too much out of your day-to-day experience of life, but some moments are accentutated and enhanced to surreal levels thanks to music-on-demand.

Bright morning, "Beautiful Day" playing as I walk in to work; after an amazing workout session, the most soothing tune in my ears as I walk to the subway; coding, debugging, in the "zone" and some Oriental Trance keeping me as focussed as can be...had to acknowledge those moments that I have begin to take for granted now.

If you're as crazy about music as I am, get yourself one of those mp3 players (if you also are anti-monopoly like I am, stay away from those white cords and the Ipod, there actually ARE other choices out there - am quite happy with my iRiver). So next time you see me walking to a Rhythm almost, you know its because of a Bob Marley song playing on my player.

Last song I was listening to: Rare 24-min jamming between Carlos Santana & Eric Clapton

No comments: