Saturday, March 05, 2005

The Downfall

When I first visited the Film Forum, I read a sign saying it was voted NewYork's best theater for the last x yrs - I thought "best theater" was about the plush seats, legroom, and popcorn! A couple of movies there and the epiphany dawned on me that it wasn't the popcorn, but the kind of movies shown there, that made it the best theater in the City.

When I stepped into NY, there were 2 things that I particularly wanted to exploit out of this place - indie movies and theater. Theater - have had enough of B'way plays - I really want to see some good off-beat, off-B'way plays. Indie flicks - have watched some great movies in the last few months and every movie that I have watched so far at Film Forum has been awesome.

The Downfall - I was hoping it'd be a history class in 2 hrs. It seemed a fairly accurate portrayal of events towards the end of WW II. Bruno Ganz who acted as The Fuehrer (name makes no sense to most, but I got to find out his name and give him his due) did a great job - desperately screaming with denial, talking about his legacy and what could've been. It was interesting to see the way everyone reacts not just to imminent defeat, but imminent death along with it. The con - if only they had been more stringent while editing. It was about 1/2 hr longer than it should have been and lost the viewer towards the end, post-Hitler's death. That apart, a highly-recommended, good watch.

So, this far in the City I have watched some good movies at the Film Forum and Angelica Film Center - would be very keen to find out more such theaters around the City. The best indie movie I have watched this far - without a doubt, Born Into Brothels, with I Heart Huckabees coming second..

No comments: