Monday, February 28, 2005

When I met an Oscar winner!

I had seen Clint Eastwood, Laura Linney, Tim Robbins, Kevin Bacon, Susan Sarandon, and Sean Penn when I went to the red-carpet premiere of Mystic River, but that was not my *meeting* with an Oscar winner. The person I am talking about is Zana Briski (and Ross Kauffman), the winner for the Best Documentary at the 77th Oscars last night.

I was *lucky* to have watched this documentary at Film Forum a couple of months back - Born Into Brothels. I was luckier to have gone a few minutes late and end up on the first row. After the brilliant movie, we had a chance to meet the directors for a Q&A session. Truly fortunate to have met and spoken to Zana. This documentary was the beginning of my "life-changing weekend" (sensationalize it even more.. :)); it deeply impacted me!

Its truly a pity that the makers of the documentary do not plan to release it in India. The Oscar win last night might help the documentary gross over $4 million and one would assume, most of that money would be pumped back to a noble cause in Calcutta or elsewhere.

Greatest respect and admiration for that lady, Zana Briski!

No comments: