Thursday, February 24, 2005

Gud ol' times

Yes its here! The time in my life when I look back at "gud ol' times" - kinda early one would think, but at least am not living in denial in this case :)

Have always looked back at certain times in my life and thought about some people in my life (who may not play such a great role in my day-to-day existence like they used to..), but then previoulsy there was always that hope that I could re-live some of those times with some of those people. Now, I finally have to acknowledge that such times are consigned to reminiscing about, and thats it!

Did you have a phase in ur life which u call ur "glory days"? For me, it was the final year of high school, my 12th grade - as I look back, that was probably one of the best phases in my life so far. If I was blogging incognito, I would elaborate more about that phase..

In my room today is a cricket bat that I haven't used in more than 2 years, but its there anyway. It reminds me every now and then about them 'gud ol' days' of "kutti ground" cricket! Now, this was a fairly large piece of empty, unused land in Malleswaram, Bangalore, which we made our own ("kutti" translated into Tamil = small) - this was our Lords, our mecca of cricket, in that little world, we ruled! Every so often, we would dare to step out of our kutti ground into the bigger grounds where the "others" played, get walloped so bad and be relegated back to our kutti ground. If there is one long-lasting memory of most of "us" who played there, it would be Aliou's annoying run-up to bowl; Button's cross-batted slog straight down the ground with the power that theatened to make a brick loose in Venkatappa's wall; Yambar's stay at the crease, missing every other ball, but still nudging one here and there, and driving the bowler to sheer frustration; Impo's ability to hit a four of just *any* ball bowled when he wanted to; OiceMan charging down the pitch and glaring at Apaan and attempting to sledge him; Marshall's sheer pace... I could go on and on. I *hope* that the lasting memory that I have left the people above about me is a flowing, elegant, textbook cover-drive, head perfectly over the ball, feet to the pitch, elbow high up.. Truly, those gud ol' days..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anyone who can speak in an educated manner about Kutti Ground Cricket will wax eloquent about your flowing cover-drives. The sweet sound of stumper ball on bat, the ball simply racing away to the cover boundary, a full 15 feet away, the bowlers head thrown back in resigned admiration...these are images that will never die.

Vijay Krishna L said...

Ah you had to throw in that "cover boundary, a full 15 feet away" didn't you? That's right, we didn't really believe in wasting energy running for the ball (fielding) or running between wickets. It took a fair amount of effort for some of us to run in and bowl!