Saturday, February 12, 2005

Art is..

..something that makes me go, wow!

Art has a different interpretation for every individual, art to me is NOT seeing a block of wood, a tubelight, or a blank sheet of paper on a wall - some 'artist' actually passed those off as pieces of art at the Guggenheim Museum sometime back. The architecture of the Guggenheim is remarkable, but the abstract art that I saw there sometime back, umm..I dunno about that. May appeal to some others, not me..

The Gates (blog below) was amazing for the effect it had on me and the effort that had gone into creating something as elaborate and large-scale as this.

Maureen Dowd (of nytimes) in this editorial talks about what art means to her - http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/06/opinion/6dowd.html?n=Top%2fOpinion%2fEditorials%20and%20Op%2dEd%2fOp%2dEd%2fColumnists%2fMaureen%20Dowd
I liked the point about how art does NOT have to conform to standards set by anyone or enjoy consensus with a vast majority (politics has to) - art is just someone's opinion - its upto the recipient to interpretate it any way he/she wants to.

On a more crass note, there is this poster I wanted to buy - a metal statue of a nude woman (imagine one of those trophies for them film awards) with an old, homeless, tramp in a long overcoat standing in front of her and unbuttoning the coat to the statue - the caption reads, "Expose yourself to art"! :)

No comments: